About the Editorial Team
Dr. Okechukwu Hyginus Ekwunife MBBS, FWACS, FACS
Consultant Paediatric Surgeon,
Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching,
Dr. Okechukwu Hyginus Ekwunife is currently working at the Department of Surgery, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi Campus. He does research in Neonatal Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, and Surgical Quality Improvement. He is directly involved in ‘National Neonatal Surgery Quality Improvement’ and ‘PaedSurg Africa Research Collaboration’ projects.
Dr Kelechi E.Okonta, MBBS(UPH), Cert Cardiac Surg(Madras), FWACS(CTh), FACS
Dr. Gerald C. Oguzie MD
CONSULTANT ORTHOPEDIC & TRAUMA SURGEON FWACS, FMC(Ortho)
Federal Medical Centre,
Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
Specialist orthopedic and trauma surgeon with fellowships of West African College of Surgeons and National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria. An inclination for minimal access orthopedic surgery, arthroscopy, and joint reconstruction. Member Minimal Access Surgery Board Federal Medical Centre, Owerri. An International Clinical Member of the Orthopaedic & Trauma Association (OTA) USA & Canada. Principal Investigator for International Orthopedic Multi-Center Study (INORMUS) Hamilton, Canada.
Prof. Titus Ibekwe
International Consulting Editor
MBBS(Nig), MPHHPM(Ib), FWACS, FMCORL, FICS, Otol(Van; BC), Cert. LFPE(Harvard)
Titus S Ibekwe, Professor and Head, Department of the Otorhinolaryngology University of Abuja Nigeria. He is also a Public Health physician having acquired a Masters in Public Health and Health Policy/Management (MPH-HPM). His research and interest are in Preventable Hearing Losses culminating in over 50 publications in International and Local Journals. He made presentations on this subject in International meetings and currently an advocate for a policy on Ear Health Care in Nigeria.
Born in Mgbowo Nigeria, he had his Medical School and Residency programs in the University of Nigeria and University College Hospital Ibadan respectively. A fellow of the West African College of Surgeons (WACS), National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMCN) and International College of Surgeons (ICS), he has demonstrated astute Leadership skills in Nigeria, Africa and internationally:
- Vice President International Advisory Board of the American Academy of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Foundation
- Secretary National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (Faculty of ORL).
- National Chairman Continuing Medical Education, Nigeria.
- Board Examiner Part 1 and 2 for West African College of Surgeons and National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria
- Council Member WACS and Faculty Board Member NPMC
- Course Coordinator WACS and NPMC
- Director, WACS Medical Outreach North-Central Zone Nigeria
- Coordinator International College of Surgeons, Abuja Zone.
- Past Chairman Nigerian Medical Association Abuja Nigeria
- Past First National Vice President of the Nigerian Medical Association
- Past National Secretary, Otorhinolaryngological Society of Nigeria
- Key Player in Pan African Federation of Otorhinolaryngological Society (PAFOS)
- Member, Humanitarian and Steering Committees of the American-Academy-of-Otorhinolaryngology-Head-and-Neck-Foundation.
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey MS
International Consulting Editor
MS, MNAMS, FRCS (London), FIMSA, FAIS, FICS, FACS, FIAGES, FALS
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey belongs to the cadre of the pioneer laparoscopic surgeons in India. He has graphed his career with singular determination to develop, evaluate and propagate Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery in India. The advent of Laparoscopic surgery with his hands became a point in India’s medical history.
Dr. Chowbey has had the honour of operating on His Excellency Shri K R Narayanan former President of India for gall bladder surgery (March 29, 2001), His Holiness Dalai Lama for gall bladder surgery (October 10, 2008).
Dr. Chowbey formulated the Minimal Access Surgery – Guidelines and Recommendations that were released by the Hon’ble President of India Dr. KR Narayanan at Rashtrapati Bhavan in July 2002. Dr. Chowbey is currently chairing the revision update of the Minimal Access Surgery Guidelines and recommendations which will be released by the end of 2018. He with other experts formulated guidelines for Endoscopic hernia surgery and also on Metabolic & Obesity (MOSI) surgery in Nov. 2008 and December 2010.
Teaching & Training
Trained more than 20,000 surgeons from around the world in minimally invasive surgeries as teaching and training has been his passion and an integral part of his career.
Honorary memberships and Lifetime Achievement awards
He has been felicitated with the first honorary membership of the International Endohernia Society (IEHS) for his clinical and scientific contributions in the development of Laparo-endoscopic hernia surgery (2017).
He has also been felicitated with the Honorary membership of the United Arab Emirates Surgery Society, Honorary membership of the Indonesian Society of Endo Lap Surgeons (ISES), Honorary membership of Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India.
He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement award by IAGES in February 2015 for his significant contributions to Endoscopic surgeries in India, Lifetime Achievement award by Human Care Charitable Trust in August 2014.
Esteemed positions held
- Founder President – Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS) (2004)
- President – Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS) (2004- 2009)
- President – Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Society (APMBSS) (2010-12)
- President – Asia Pacific Chapter of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) (2011-13)
- Worldwide President – International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) (2012-13)
- President – Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI) (2006-10)
- Trustee & Past President – Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons (IAGES)